Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Top 10 Braves Prospects

The guys and I over at the new blog decided to each come up with a list of the top 10 Braves prospects. The unveiling of the new site is set for early next week and I'm hoping we'll start with some lively debate over whose top 10 is more accurate. In the meantime, I want to share mine with you all.

1. SS Brent Lillibridge - I've said it before and I'll say it again - I love this kid. I think I want to see him make the move to 2B, but I definitely think we'll see him in the Big Show soon. I think he might make a good leadoff hitter and I know he'll make an excellent baserunner.

2. 3B Eric Campbell - After batting .296 in Rome last year, with 77 RBIs and 18 stolen bases, I think this kid will be a terrific replacement for Chipper one day (although I hate to see the day come when Chipper is gone).

3. LHP Matt Harrison - Has the potential to be a middle starter for the Braves later on in this season or by next season.

4. SS Yunel Escobar - I think most people are picking Elvis Andrus to take Renteria's place, but I'm picking Yunel Escobar. Andrus might do a little better offensively, but Escobar is better defensively so far. I'm just feeling that Andrus has been over-hyped and Escobar will be the one that can step up and take Renteria's place in a couple of years.

5. 1B Kala Ka'aihue - A good power hitter, I've heard him compared several times to Gallaraga. Having been a huge fan of Gallaraga, I'm excited to see this guy up at the Big Show in the next year or so.

6. OF Brandon Jones - One thing you never get tired of with the Braves is the Jones name. Kinda makes me like this kid instantly. He throws right-handed, but is a terrific left-handed batter. Not sur where he fits in with the Braves or if he'll just be trade bait, but he'll be up in the Big Show soon.

7. C Jarrod Saltalamacchia - If you'd asked me this time last year after I saw him at spring training, I would have told you that Salty was the number one prospect in the Braves organization. However, after having a less than stellar season last year at Double A and being injury plagued during the AFL, I'm not so hot on him now. I'll never want to see him over McCann, but I think he'll be great trade bait and will go on to have a successful MLB career elsewhere.

8. RHP Joey Devine - I saw this kid play several time while he was at North Carolina State. I was very excited when the Braves signed him. Unfortunately, he didn't have the best outings during his brief stint in the Big Show in 2005, but don't count him out just yet. I think he learned a lot from his first outings and will be on the active roster at some point this season.

9. LHP Jo-Jo Reyes - Another strong lefty like Harrison, but with a little more power. These two could be part of a strong rotation as early as 2008.

10. SS Elvis Andrus - I'm probably the only one ranking Andrus this low on the prospect list. However, like I said I've said before, I'm not sure he's developing fast enough. I think he had far too many errors last season (32) and is over-hyped. That being said, I think he'll be in the Big Show with either the Braves or someone else in the next year or two.

4 comments:

Matt F said...

OOOOHHHH, Kinda hard on salty here aren't we? At leasts it is something different. I still say his wrist injury had a lot to do with his hitting last year. What he did at the end of the season and during his short time in the AFL are what he really is. He could be good at any position they put him at. But you're right about Lillibridge, he's gonna be big this year.

BabeOnBaseball said...

I think Salty will have a good career somewhere, but I don't think he's the catcher McCann is. Part of that may be my bias from having watched McCann since high school, but I honestly believe he's much better. I'm interested to see Salty play at a higher level to see if he can handle the pressure. I'd also be really interested in seeing him try 1B. I was really pushing for that last year and would have liked to see him battle Thorman for 1B this year, but obviously that didn't happen.

I'm sticking to my guns, Salty has some work to do this season to move up the list.

BabeOnBaseball said...

I mentioned this over on Chop-n-Change too, but for those who haven't joined me over there...

I just read a mailbag response by Braves beat writer Mark Bowman where he listed Yunel Escobar as the top prospect in the Braves organization. He indicated that Andrus and Harrison are right behind him. Glad to see someone else without Salty in their top 3! The rest of you will either see the light or say "I told you so" down the road! :)

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!