Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Strength in the Middle Infield

I'm sure more of you will disagree than agree with the statement I'm about to make, but I've never really subscribed to popular theory. So, here goes...I think that despite the loss of Giles, the Braves are in great shape as far as middle infielders go. No, it's not the same. And no, not all of the guys I'm about to discuss are ready for the Big Show, but I'm optimistic about the future. Here's why...

Probable Starting Middle Infielders:

2B, Kelly Johnson : In last Thursday's 7-2 win over the Dodgers, Kelly Johnson had a leadoff single to start the game and a sacrifice fly to score the first run. In addition, he recorded 4 of the 6 outs made during his playing time Thursday. Not bad for the first real game of spring training. In yesterday's win over the Nationals, Johnson had 2 hits and scored three runs. So far I like what I see! It may take a little time to transition from the outfield to 2B, but I'm feeling comfortable with his ability to become a solid leadoff hitter for the Braves this year.

SS, Edgar Renteria : If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times - I love Edgar Renteria! I knew when he came to us from the Red Sox he would have the chance to flourish here, in what I consider a far more supportive environment. With a .293 AVG, .436 SLG, 17 SB and a .978 FPCT from last year, I think we have a nice solid SS. I also think he gets far less national press than he deserves. Just because he's relatively quiet and more of a consistent player than a spectacular flash-in-the-pan-type, I think he's often overlooked. He's a good team player and I like him in a Braves uniform.

Those I Like Coming Down the Pipe:

Martin Prado - I got to see him several times at spring training last year and liked what I saw. Although I think he's a stronger defensive player than Johnson, I think the Braves will go with Johnson as their starter because of his major league experience and ability to fill the important leadoff role. On top of that, Pete Orr, Willy Aybar and Chris Woodward are there to fill in if Johnson hits a rough patch, so I don't think this is the year Prado will make it to the Big Show. To his credit though, in spring training he's batting .571. He?s had 8 hits, 4 runs, 3 RBIs and 1 stolen base. I think he's so close to the Big Show he can taste it and he's gunning hard after Johnson.

Yunel Escobar - Following Prado's lead, Escobar is having a terrific spring training thus far. Batting .462 with 6 hits, 2 runs, 3 RBIs and 1 stolen base, I like the idea of him being our SS in a couple of years. During the offseason, he was crowned the Arizona Fall League's batting champion. He was also the only Braves player selected for the Futures Game. I think we'll see Escobar taking Renteria's place in a couple of years.

Elvis Andrus - I remember seeing this kid when I was at spring training last year and now all the sudden I'm hearing about him everywhere. Honestly, I only remember that I saw him because his name is Elvis - hard to forget. However, he recently made the list of top 100 prospects, so obviously it's more than just his name getting him attention. I heard a brief bit about him on the radio today and it sounds like he's still developing. Everyone is saying he'll make it to the Big Show after Renteria's contract is up following the 2008 season. He needs to work on his fielding (32 errors with the Rome Braves last year), he's been noted as having great potential as a hitter and runner. He batted .265 last year with 23 stolen bases. I think he's got some definite potential, but right now I?m leaning towards Escobar as Renteria's replacement.

Brent Lillibridge - All of the sudden, I'm hearing this name a lot during spring training. As a part of the deal for LaRoche, Lillibridge is an up-and-coming middle infielder. Although he's been playing SS, I imagine he'll have to move to 2B to make it in the Big Show. Like Andrus, Lillibridge is capable of being a real base stealer. As a matter of fact, he already has two in about 6 at-bats. Think that's impressive? How about 51 stolen bases last season down in Class A! Add to that his .305 AVG, 13 HR and 71 RBIs and I'm in love with this kid already! While he's got Johnson, Aybar, Woodward, Orr and Prado in his way for now, I think we'll see him in a year or two up in the Big Show. Just a gut feeling, but so far hes my favorite Braves prospect.

1 comment:

Matt F said...

Foreman here, apparently i have two blogger accounts. Weird.

Anyways, gotta say i like the write up. Its a good break down of the depth we have at our deepest position in the minors. Though I'm no convinced on Prado being all that good in the long run. Might be the 2B version of Rafael Belliard, save with a little more power. Adding Johnson in this year could prove integral to the future of some of these guys.

I love lillibridge like you do...babe?...and i think he is our leadoff hitter maybe even next year if he handles AA this year. But what about Eric Campbell? He made the switch to 2B this fall in Hawaii. Should we move him back to 3B and replace Chipper with him? The braves seem sold on Van Pope though I'm not yet. We'll see.

And then this year may determine what Andrus will be. Will he develop enough speed to be a leadoff hitter? Could he be a jeter type of guy who is really good all round but not great in anything? One thing people say about him is, compared to the other teenagers in the SAL last year, he looked like he was 17 and the others seemed filled out more.

And then deeper down still we have JC Holt (whom I like despite mediocre peformances) chase fontaine who John Sickels raves about. So Something has to give with all these guys. Honestly i would trade all of them for one Felix Hernandez or Philip Hughes or Homer Bailey. But i like Matt Harrison more than most too. :-)