Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Is the Post-Cox Era Upon Us?

I won't always double post on both here and the new trio I've joined on http://www.chop-n-change.com, but I'm going to today. That doesn't mean you shouldn't go to Chop-n-Change though, because there are two other fabulous Braves bloggers there!

Now to the matter at hand:

The quotes surfaced a few weeks ago, but I've just now gotten around to posting my thoughts on the matter. Bobby Cox looks like he'll be gone after the 2008 season. I know that's not shocking news to anyone, but I'm surprised there hasn't been more commentary on who his replacement might be and how it'll impact the future of the Braves.

For those unfamiliar with what Bobby said:

“I’d like to start doing the things I need to do instead of the things I want to do — like manage,” Cox said. “I don’t need to manage — I want to manage."

“I still love it. I feel great. I want to do this year and next year, and then probably hang it up."

First, I don't think the Braves will ever be the same once the Cox/Schuerholz duo have retired. That being said, their unique and successful style has been observed for years by the other coaches and administrative staff. Because of that, I have a very strong preference for promotions from within to replace both Cox and Schuerholz.

First off, I'd like to see Frank Wren replace Schuerholz. After reading Schuerholz's book "Built to Win" (which I read twice and really enjoyed), I feel like Wren is in the best place to replace Schuerholz. Although he was previously fired from the Orioles, he seems to be indoctrinated into Schuerholz's style and manner of managing operations. One article I read actually said that one of the issues that lead to his being fired was his refusal to hold a team plane for Cal Ripken, Jr., who was running late. While I'm a huge fan of Cal, I think this is a great example of how he fits in with the Braves. Cox and Schuerholz are always emphasizing that what thing that makes the Braves different from some other clubs is that they seek team players, not individuals. Every player has the same size locker, they all abide by the same rules on jewelry and facial hair, and those who have been there only for themselves haven't worn a Braves uniform for long.

As for Cox, I've known for quite some time who I want to replace him: Terry Pendleton. After both playing and coaching in the organization, I think he has great pride in the club and would continue to manage things in the same manner as Cox. He's seen firsthand as both a player and colleague the demeanor Cox has around the clubhouse that numerous players over the years have applauded and thrived under. He wasn't a "showboat" as a player and seems to have the same calm, never-diss-a-player-in-front-of-the-rest-of-the-team sort of attitude Cox is known for having. And after taking himself out of the running for the Nationals manager position, I'm even more convinced that this is who can fill Cox's shoes. His loyalty to the Braves and his indoctrination into the Braves organization make him a fantastic candidate and make me feel far less nervous about Cox's inevitable departure.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great call on Pendleton! I couldn't agree more.