Saturday, February 10, 2007

The Situation in Left Field

I have to admit that I haven't paid much attention to one of our new acquisitions - Craig Wilson. However, when I realized today that he may end up doing most of the platooning in left field with Langerhans instead of Diaz, I sat up and took notice. I know I've talked before about players having that "special something" - we've all had players we feel that way about, just a gut feeling that they have the makings to be great. Well, I felt that way about Diaz last year. That's why I'm upset to read articles and blogs citing Wilson as the most likely to platoon with Langerhans in left field. So, here's a little comparison of their 2006 numbers...

Diaz's batting average was .327 after 297 at bats.
Wilson's batting average was .251 after 359 at bats.

Diaz's on-base percentage was .364.
Wilson's on-base percentage was .314.

Diaz's slugging percentage was .475.
Wilson's slugging percentage was .446.

Diaz's batting average against lefties was .295.
Wilson's batting average against lefties was .278.

Diaz's batting average against righties was .358.
Wilson's batting average against righties was .235.

Diaz had 32 RBIs.
Wilson had 49 RBIs.

Diaz had 7 homeruns.
Wilson had 17 homeruns.

Overall, I think Diaz makes the more dependable hitter. One article I read noted that Diaz was maybe weaker defensively. However, the career stats beg to differ (I used career stats because Wilson didn't play any left field last season)...

Career Fielding Percentage in Left Field:
Diaz .969
Wilson .969

I think Wilson will make an excellent backup for Thorman at first base, could occasionaly be useful in left or right field as needed, and could even be a decent pinch hitter. However, I'd rather see Diaz platooning with Langerhans in left field. As a matter of fact, I might prefer Diaz over Langerhans as the primary left fielder. Here's a look at Langerans' 2006 numbers:

Batting Average: .241 in 315 at-bats
On-Base Percentage: .350
Slugging Percentage: .378
Against Lefties: .308
Against Righties: .232

My personal preference would be to platoon Langerhans and Diaz in left field. If one is really shining, give him more time out there. Let Wilson serve as a backup for Thorman and let him have some time in the outfield now and then. If Andruw were to leave after this year and Francoeur were to move to center, Wilson could play right (something he's done more in the past than left field). That's pretty much how I'd like to see things play out (except for the part where Jones leaves Atlanta).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wilson has shown the ability throughout his career to pretty well adapt to wherever he's needed. If nothing else, he came up as a catcher so we have an emergency backstop. I think he's a good get for the Braves. I do agree with you that Diaz should not see his plate appearances decrease this year. The guy went way above any expectations last year and Cox & Co. have to find a way to get him into games whether he's platooning in LF or at 1B. The best news with Wilson is that if Thorman craps the bed (fingers crossed he won't) Wilson can step in and, at the very least, do a respectable job.

One other note - Do you think it will be Francouer moving to CF if Jones is gone? I'm not sure you can take his arm out of right and Langerhans seems to be the ideal candidate defensively to move over if in fact The Good Lord decides to punish Braves fans by taking Jones away.

stynes said...

Well, the stats probably aren't quite as one sided as what you present. First defensively, as you mentioned, most of Wilson's time has come in RF and not LF. His LF sample size is extremely small. If you aggregate his RF and LF stats and do the same for Diaz, the numbers bode career .980 fielding percentage for Wilson vs. .970 for Diaz.

Offensively you only compare the 2006 numbers which was something of a down year for Wilson. Career he has a .480 slugging percentage and a .293 batting average against left handers. Those numbers are every bit as good as Diaz's numbers in what was, at least thus far, a career year for him.

If the signing of Wilson was $2m for a platoon in LF the I'm really left scratching my head given the focus on trimming payroll. I think the Braves will give Langerhans most of the playing time in left - provided he's servicable at the plate - because they already have plenty of pop in the lineup with 4 guys that could hit 25+ homeruns (Jones, Jones, Francoeur, and McCann) and a renewed focus on pitching which requires a renewed focus on defense. If Langerhans struggles too much at the plate then Diaz provides the opposite: he's stronger offensively but weaker in the field. He's still relatively untested with not even a full season in the majors, though.

So why Wilson? Well, Wilson gives the Braves a cushion if Diaz's 2006 numbers prove to be a fluke (which I personally don't think they will given his consistent performance in the minors at similar levels). Wilson also gives the Braves another option at 1B if Thorman doesn't work out. This is, in my mind probably the Braves greater concern. Thorman is far less of a known quantity than Diaz, regardless of his upside. Either way, the Braves signed a viable plan B for two untested players (Diaz and Thorman) all for $2m. And when you look at it that way it's probably money well spent. Now if they had only done the same for a closer last year... :)

stynes said...

One other option I forgot to mention is a trade. Some people have mentioned trading Langerhans. I don't think that's going to happen. Either a) he'll perform and be exactly what the Braves want, a stellar defender and adequate at the plate or b) his struggles at the plate will continue in which case he'll have little if any trade value.

I think the more likely scenario is that Langerhans and/or Wilson perform well enough at the plate that the Braves feel like trading Diaz is an option. Diaz, as you've pointed out, has been an outstanding ball player. He just doesn't fit terribly well into the Braves current plans. He doesn't provide the defense that Langerhans does and he's a low order hitter where the Braves don't "need" his offensive skills. He'd be a 7-8 hitter in Atlanta and given his offensive production in a very young major league career thus far he may be of more value in a trade. His trade value couldn't be higher right now coming off such an outstanding year and being a bargin basement price.

Signing Wilson gives the Braves more opportunity to trade Diaz for another arm should Hampton or Davies/5th starter struggle, should Soriano/Gonzalez not be back in full form after having arm trouble, should the Johnson at second or Thorman at first plans not work out, etc.

Again, when you look at Wilson's signing that way, $2m sounds like a deal.

Btw, my projected Braves opening day lineup pending additional trades/injures/surprises:

2B Johnson L
SS Renteria R
3B Jones S
CF Jones R
C McCann L
RF Francoeur R
1B Thorman L
LF Langerhans L

BabeOnBaseball said...

I absolutely agree that Wilson is versatile and will probably be a good acquisition for the Braves. What I don't agree with is pushing Diaz out. Diaz had a great season last year and hopefully he'll only get better. I compared the 2006 numbers because Wilson has a couple more year experience than Diaz, which I think helps boost his numbers a little. The differences both in batting and fielding are negligible when you take that into consideration. I'm not doubting that Wilson is good and will probably turn out to be a good move for the Braves, I'm just defending Diaz's right to be a part of the lineup.

As for Francoeur playing center when/if Jones leaves, I absolutely think that's what will happen. For those who don't know, he played center field in high school. Being only a little older than him, I was able to see him play some on the high school level and I can tell you that he was an amazing center fielder at that level. I realize that's not the same as playing center field on the Major League level, but he definitely has the potential. Most of the commentary I've heard lately seems to point towards Francoeur taking over in center. They noted his throwing is more precise than Langerhans and that he's a little quicker and can cover more ground.

BabeOnBaseball said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BabeOnBaseball said...

Didn't see your second post Stynes...

I may agree with you that Diaz will just end up being good trade material. I personally would hate to see him go, but I'd also hate to see him stay here and waste his talent sitting on the bench playing third string.

And I completely agree with your opening day lineup...mostly because it's the exact same one I had in mind!