Monday, February 5, 2007

Major League Ballparks

I wrote a seminar paper in law school about efforts to preserve some of the more infamous Major League ballparks. My focus was on Fenway and Wrigley as great examples of preservation and Tiger Stadium and Yankee Stadium as failed efforts. Along the way, I found a fabulous quote that I'd like to share as we all prepare to join together at ballparks across the country for another season of baseball:

"We are very possessive of our ballparks. Our own homes are just four walls with a mortgage, a shell we'll gladly sell to move to a place with extra storage and a better school district. But a ballpark? That's sacred land. Not only because of a stadium's place in our personal memories but also because of its importance to our collective memory. Ballparks are one of the last remaining places -- and perhaps the only place -- where we truly come together as a community for a shared experience. We won't exchange words with the passengers next to us during an entire cross-country flight other than to ask if they're going to eat all their pretzels. But put us in a stadium and soon we'll be hugging, slapping high-fives and orchestrating the wave with everyone in the section as if they were fraternity brothers." – Jim Caple

There is nowhere in the world I feel more at home than a ballpark. It doesn't even matter which one or who's playing. I've been to MLB spring training games, regular season games and post-season games. I've been to college games, high school games and little league games. There's nowhere I feel safer, happier or more alive. As a matter of fact, I've always dreamed that I'd get engaged at a ballgame (preferably a Braves game, of course). Now I've learned that you can get married on home plate at The Ted and have your reception at the 755 Club. Having had a prom at the 755 Club about a decade ago, I can say it's a really unique experience.

But I digress...my point is that for those of us who believe ballparks are the cathedrals of a religion called baseball, the time to worship is nearly upon us again. Our spring/summer/fall homes will once again open their gates and invite us in. So as you sit at the ballpark this season, drink it all in, slap a high five with your neighbor and root, root, root for the home team (unless of course you're at an away game)!

No comments: