Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Singing the Braves Broadcast Team Blues

I've heard people complain about losing Giles. I've heard people complain about losing LaRoche. But where are the people complaining about the loss of Don Sutton? And why aren't more people up in arms about TBS carrying fewer games and Skip Caray and Pete Van Wieren being mostly delegated to radio (or in Van Wieren's case, only delegated to radio)? Announcers and broadcasters become the voice of a team. When I turn on my radio on a Sunday afternoon, I expect to hear Pete Van Wieren. Thank goodness that's not changing, as he'll be calling all of the games on the radio. Poor Skip Caray has been relegated to only a few television broadcasts, although he'll be calling 120 games or so on the radio. Joe Simpson will remain on television broadcasts, joined by newcomer Jon Sciambi for games on SportSouth and FSN. I do hear that Sciambi is good, but I'm not one for change. Chip Caray will be TBS's main man this season, with Simpson joining him for most games. And Don Sutton? He'll be with the Nationals this year. Apparently he was let go with a 2-minute phone conversation. Whose bright idea was it to let him go? And doesn't he deserve more respect than to be let go for no good reason by way of a 2-minute phone call?

Vin Scully has been the "Voice of the Dodgers" for 57 years. Harry Caray is immortalized in a statute just outside Wrigley Field. The Ford C. Frick award was created to honor one baseball broadcaster each year who has made "major contributions to baseball." Obviously, baseball broadcasters are an important part of the fabric that makes baseball the game it is. That's why I'm saddened to see the Braves broadcast team crumbling. I'm pretty sure moves are being made to bring in younger voices (i.e., Skip Caray and Jon Sciambi) in an effort to reduce payroll and appeal to a younger crowd. Well, no offense, but I can't stand to hear Skip Caray's voice and I'm in no mood to give Sciambi a chance. Baseball broadcasting is one arena where "Out with the old, in with the new" should never be the mantra.

And what about TBS phasing out after decades of broadcasting the Braves nationally? There was always something comforting about being in another city and still being able to see my Braves play. And no matter where I went, there were always at least a few Braves fans - people who had never been to Atlanta to see the Braves play, but who had watched them on TBS for years. I know there are all these other options now like the Dish, DirectTV, MLB.com, etc. (and I'll have a post on that whole debacle soon), but for the average Joe who's not enough of a fanatic to get one of those packages, the Braves will fade from their consciousness.

In the end, it makes sense that TBS is dropping its allegiance to the Braves and going national now that the two will no longer be affiliated through common ownership. That doesn't mean I'm happy about it though. So, this season as I listen to the familiar voices that have brought the Braves to me my whole life, I'll treasure every moment knowing that it won't last forever.

6 comments:

stynes said...

The real question is how can you get your game fix while not in the Southeast? I travel a fair amount and I've learned that most hotels, even within the "Braves viewing area" don't carry the old Turner South or FSN. In other words, if it ain't on TBS, you ain't seeing it.

There's satellite radio, but that's just audio. I've used it to listen in my rental car on more than one occassion.

I tried the MLB.com video subscription as well. Most online video is small and grainy. The quality of the MLB.com video broadcast was suprisingly good, though. What I found disappointing was the blackout restrictions. Even though I was not in a place where I could get the Braves game on TV (I think due to my Braves area ZIP Code), I was still subject to blackout restrictions.

Are there any options out there available or anything that MLB.com is doing to base the blackout restrictions on your physical location rather than billing ZIP Code? Anyone outside of the Braves viewing area want to purchase a MLB.com subscription for me this year? :)

BabeOnBaseball said...

What I've heard on the discussion on XM is that there is no escaping the blackout restrictions. However, my grandfather is in Florida and has the Dish Network Extra Innings package. I've asked him and he said he gets to see EVERY Braves game. He probably doesn't try to watch every single game though, so I'm wondering if he gets blacked out on occasion and doesn't realize it. According to the guys on MLB Home Plate on XM, all games not on Fox on Saturdays during Fox's exclusive time period are blacked out on all other outlets. I'll have to ask my grandfather about this again.

By the way, the reason MLB is able to monopolize the broadcasting rights and pick and choose where and how games are shown is because that part of baseball is still exempt from federal antitrust laws.

I'll do some research and get another post up about the current broadcasting rights debacle (i.e., the rumored DirecTV deal) and the blackout situation.

BabeOnBaseball said...

A quick check on the Dish Network website reveals that my grandfather must not be paying attention because blackout restrictions DO apply to the Extra Innings package. The blackouts are only Saturdays up to 7 p.m EST and Sundays after 5 p.m. EST.

Also, if you don't want to do the MLB.TV thing and would rather do one of the satellite tv packages, but would still like to be able to watch while on the road, invest in a SlingBox. You attach this to your tv at home and it "slings" the signal to any internet connection. This allows you to watch anything you can watch on your tv at home on any computer with an internet connection anywhere you travel.

Anonymous said...

Ah, This is awesome! Clears up
a few contradictions I've heard

Anonymous said...

http://libertarianrepublican.blogspot.com/2009/02/australia-arson-suspect-arrested-muslim.html

Anonymous said...

Ah, This is awesome! Puts to bed
some contradictions I've seen