Monday, February 5, 2007

Braves Outlook - Pitching

First things first, let’s talk about the Braves, the real love of my life. After 14 years at the top, my boys finally suffered the blows of a losing season. There are ways in which I think this is a good thing for the City of Atlanta and Braves fans. During the Braves postseason play in recent years, Turner Field has failed to sell out. I find that unimaginable in this day and age. The city was no longer excited when the Braves made it to postseason, but postseason play was merely expected after more than a decade of unprecedented postseason appearances. Why is it that the Yankees can still pack the house after years of a winning tradition and the Braves could not? I honestly don’t know. What I do know, however, is that 2006 was a wake-up call for Braves fans. For those who didn’t receive that call, it said postseason play is not a given and that we should treasure it when it does come around.

That being said, I think Braves fans will get their chance to pack “The Ted” this October after an off-season full of exciting trades. I think every Braves fan will agree that the Achilles heal of the 2006 squad was the bullpen. If even half of the blown saves last season were erased (the total number is something like 29 out of 67 save opportunities blown - 17 out of 37 pre-Wickman), the Braves easily would have been playing on into October. A new wind is blowing, however, and it’s name is Bob Wickman. After converting 30 of 34 save opportunities in late July, August and September, when he joined the Braves from the Indians, Wickman proved to be the solid closer the Braves needed. While last season it was too little too late, 2007 is a different story.

Along with signing a one-year deal with Wickman, the Braves have acquired Rafael Soriano and Mike Gonzales as relievers to join McBride, Yates and Villareal in the bullpen. I’m still unsure about Yates, but I think the new blood in the bullpen will give it the strength and stability McBride and Villarreal need to make them shine. Based on all this, I’m prepared to say that the Braves will have the best bullpen in the National League. And while it’s another post for another day, I think the Smoltz-Hudson-Hampton starting three will rival the Smoltz-Glavine-Maddox trio of the Braves golden era.

I’ve heard others complain about all of the off-season trades made for pitchers, while there were no real acquisitions of power hitters. To that my response would be that hitting wasn’t our problem last year, pitching was. It’s as simple as that. With Renteria, the Jones duo, Francouer and McCann in the lineup, I feel completely confident that the runs will be scored. And now with the starting trio and strong bullpen, I’m even more confident that the same cannot be said of our opponents.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wickman did not come from the dodgers. he came from cleveland

BabeOnBaseball said...

You're absolutely right. I had Baez and Aybar on the mind and had a momentary lapse. I'll edit the post. Thanks!