Monday, February 5, 2007

Braves Ownership

Chop Chick, who blogs over on the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's website, had a recent post where she seemed to question whether Arthur Blank would have been a good owner for the Braves: http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/bravesfans/entries/2007/01/24/hindsight.html. I responded there, but I want to expound on it a little further:

I think Arthur Blank would have made a fabulous owner for the Braves. I grew up in the Turner era and much preferred the way things ran back then. A corporate entity is without emotion, passion, excitement, etc. An individual (not several individuals, see the Hawks disaster for that one) brings so much more to the table as an owner. Arthur isn’t perfect, who is…but he’s passionate about baseball and a smart businessman. The Braves would have been lucky to have him. Instead, I'm afraid an entity interested only in the bottomline will come in and continue the current trend of cost-cutting and indifference. I also fear a corporate owner will only hold the Braves for a few to five years and then they'll be for sale again. I want the stability that I think only an individual can bring to the club.

In the end, I feel ok as long as Schuerholz and Cox are at the reigns. I know that won't last forever, but I'll worry about that another day.

2 comments:

stynes said...

Chop Chick is horrible. So far (a day :)) your blog is far better than hers. She's a waste of space. Let me hear more from DOB.

BabeOnBaseball said...

Thank you for the compliment. There'll be a lot more to come from me as the season gets closer! :)